Every year thousands of foreign students come to study at Australian Universities in order to advance their professional careers. But during the past several years, a number of factors have made it challenging for graduates from abroad to obtain respectable employment in the Australian economy. A Professional Year Programme (PYP) may be beneficial in this situation.
The PYP is a well planned programme that emphasises the professional development of aspirant students by giving them useful hands-on experience and introducing them to potential career paths. It is intended for foreign students who have completed their studies at Australian universities. When you graduate, you can participate in this programme, which lasts less than a year.
In other words, a PYP aids students in developing highly advanced abilities prior to entering the workforce. Therefore, it will be a wise choice to get trained before joining a reputable company in one of the top Australian cities. However, you must remember that at this time, only three academic areas can send students to this programme.
A Professional Year Course offers other advantages besides educating recent graduates in engineering, information technology, and accounting for their future aspirations. Students who complete such a programme receive an additional 5 points when they begin the application process for an Australian permanent residence visa.
Different Programmes offered under the Professional Year Program
We've already mentioned that there are just three academic fields where professional year programmes are offered: Engineering, Accounting, and Information Technology. The length of the courses is the same for all three programmes.
Professional Year Program in Engineering
Engineering Education Australia (EEA) conceptualised and created the Professional Year Engineering Program. Let's say you get your engineering degree from an Australian university. In that case, you might want to think about enrolling in this 44-week training programme, which will help you learn more about the requirements of the Australian workplace, hone crucial employability skills, and ultimately prepare you for employment in the Australian labour market.
This extensive curriculum gives participants both theoretical instruction and an internship to prepare them for the workforce. You will also be qualified to receive 5 extra points on the Australian Department of Home Affairs points exam if you successfully complete the course.
Make sure you satisfy the following requirements in order to participate in this programme.
- You have to have received a postgraduate or undergraduate degree from an Australian university.
- You must currently have a Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 or at the very least have applied for one. After completing their studies, overseas students are permitted to stay in Australia for 18 months to 4 years on this visa. The length of the stay varies depending on the candidate's academic background and the Graduate Visa stream they apply for.
- Candidates must demonstrate their English language competence. IELTS Academic requires an overall band score of 6 and a minimum band score of 5 in each band. The minimum necessary total score for the PTE Academic is 50, while the minimum score for each band is 36.
Professional Year Program in Accounting
Three organisations—the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICA), CPA Australia, and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) —developed the Professional Year Accounting Program. This programme was formerly called SMIPA (Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting) and is designed for international students who have earned an accounting degree from an Australian university. This course will help Graduates in accounting enhance their skills to excel in their jobs.
When applicants apply for a points-based Australian work visa, this PYP also helps them get 5 more points.
The following are the requirements for PYP Accounting eligibility.
- Candidates should have received an accredited accounting degree with at least two years' worth of credit points. Additionally, the course should have been completed in no longer than 18 months.
- Remember that until you finish the course for which you filed the Confirmation of Enrolment, your Australian student visa will still be valid. However, You will be required to apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa 485 in order to remain longer for higher education. Therefore, you must apply for this visa for PYP Accounting as well.
- English language proficiency is also important. Candidates must have received at least six total IELTS band scores.You must obtain a minimum total score of 50 in order to take the PTE Academic.
- Additionally, you will be required to complete a skills evaluation administered by a professional accounting association and submit the results when applying.
Professional Year Program in IT
The Australian Computer Society (ACS) created the Professional Year Information Technology Program with the goal of giving graduates from other countries extensive training in information and communications technology. Regular counselling is provided throughout the programme in addition to fundamental and practical instruction, assisting applicants in gaining vast and practical knowledge.
The Immigration Department started this initiative in an effort to address Australia's talent deficit problem. In the first 32 weeks of this 44-week curriculum, students receive instruction in communication skills and theoretical understanding. The final 12 weeks provide students the chance to put those abilities to use in a real-world employment setting. Similar to the previous two programmes, this one aids pupils in accumulating 5 more points, enhancing their chances of becoming permanent residency in Australia.
Make sure you match the following eligibility requirements in order to be eligible for this programme.
- You should have successfully completed a degree in Information Technology (IT) from an Australian Institution that offers at least two years' worth of credit.
- You must be in possession of a Graduate Visa 485 at the time of applying, or at least have applied for one.
- For the IELTS, a minimum overall band score of 6 is necessary. The minimal overall criterion for PTE Academic is a 50-band score.
Basic Requirements to apply for a Professional Year Program
Remember these prerequisites before submitting your application to an Australian Professional Year Program.
- First and foremost, you need to have at least a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Accounting, or Information Technology to be qualified for a PY Program.
- You must earn an overall IELTS score of 6 bands in order to apply for the Post Study Work Stream under the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485.
- To enrol in a PYP, you must also have a band score of 6, in total. Additionally, each band's score for the Australian Professional Year Program in Accounting should be 6.
International students who want to finish their degrees at Australian institutions may find the Professional Year Program to be of great use. It helps you advance professionally in the selected job path while simultaneously increasing your prospects of obtaining permanent residency in Australia.
The following advantages are available to students who apply to the Professional Year Program through Apeiro Training Services:
- An easy application procedure since Apeiro Training Services will evaluate all of the applicants' documentation and credentials.
- PTE Courses are available for free for a year (terms and conditions apply).
For more information, visit Apeiro Training Services!